Saturday, January 17, 2009

Desperately Seeking Snoozin or Healers Way

Desperately Seeking Snoozin': The Insomnia Cure from Awake to Zzzzz

Author: John Wiedman

John Wiedman is neither a doctor nor a therapist, but the years he has spent in the trenches of insomnia, fighting for an elusive good night's sleep, has made him an expert in the war against sleepless nights. In conversational tones, John talks about how he has overcome a sleeping disorder that affects about one-third of the adult population in America and lays out a blueprint showing how sufferers don't have to spend their nights tossing and turning and their days struggling to stay awake. John uses his "on-the-job" experience to guide readers through a program that will help them develop healthy habits that promote a restful and peaceful night of slumber. Desperately Seeking Snoozing is the one book that can boast that it will put you to sleep. The book is now being recommended by over forty sleep clinics in the United States and Canada for their insomnia patients.

Excerpts of Comments by Insomniacs and Sleep Professionals

"My family and friends can't believe that I can sleep! I almost can't believe it!...I'm alive again!" Holly Boettcher, Insomniac, Appleton, WI

A book that every insomniac should read"- Dr. Peter Hauri, Director of the Insomnia Program, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN-considered by many to be the world's leading authority on insomnia.

"What an educational & entertaining read it was. You're quite the character. Once I started it I couldn't put it down. I loved it!" Lisa Nasu, Insomniac, Tokyo, Japan

"An in-depth journey into the life of the insomnia patient. Truly exceptional and insightful." Dr. Alan Arrington, Director, The Crestwood Center for Sleep Disorders, Huntsville, AL

"I put the principles to work and I now am able to get to sleep without medications or any other 'cures,'" Jodi Judson, Insomniac, Nashville, TN

"I almost didn't want the book to end... The book was well written, comforting, compassionate, clear and funny. When dealing with something as serious as insomnia, a sense of humor is a good coping mechanism. I've never read a book on insomnia that was written that way before. Most were boring and left me feeling hopeless. It was also obvious the books that I had read were not written by anyone that has ever suffered sleep problems before." Meg Kampen, Insomniac, Washington State

"I highly recommend it to anyone struggling with insomnia." Richard G. Copen, Ph.D., Licensed Psychologist Clinical Director, Insomnia Clinic Sparrow Sleep Center, Lansing, MI

"I have started using some of the suggestions in your book and already am seeing an improvement. After all the years of not getting enough sleep I had started thinking that this was as good as it gets. That you were suppose to feel like a zombie all day. I'm sure if I stick with the book it will only get better." Insomniac, Mississippi

"Thank you so much for sharing your experiences. It has been a G-dsend. I plan to tell my friends, there's hope." J. Alexander, Insomniac

"Wonderful book! It corresponds very nicely with the approach that I am following at the Duke Sleep Disorders clinic here in North Carolina. I have had good results with the program, and I am finding your book to be a marvelous support." Eric, Insomniac, North Carolina

"From the first contact I had with your book, I can say I am seduced by its humour, simplicity, modesty and maybe most important its humanity. Your idea of writing about your experience in order to share it with others and bringing this adventure to a happy end is also something I find exciting." Insomniac, Belgium

"An excellent resource that I will recommend to all my patients with insomnia. I think the patient can really relate to this book and say to themselves, 'This is excactly what I am going through.'" Ron Fossececo, RRT, RPSGT, Prog. Coordinator, Sleep Center of Southern Colorado at Parkview

"The title is fabulous and your humor injected into the book was great." Insomniac

"I am still having continuing success. I only had one episode of insomnia through the summer. I was afraid that once I started back to work (teaching school) I may revert to my insomniac behavior. However, School has been going on for a month and I have enjoyed a full six to eight hours of sleep every night." Insomniac, Oklahoma

".... As for your book.... Wonderful! I really enjoyed reading it. You're personal style and insight is very entertaining and informative. You present your ideas in a natural, sincere style that I find refreshing. I can certainly relate to your experiences, and this makes your book especially enjoyable, as opposed to some doctor writing about a topic with no real firsthand knowledge. You've covered just about all the bases in your search for an answer, and I'm sure anyone else with similar problems will appreciate the benefit of your experience. There are so many things that can contribute to sleep problems, and I think your coverage of all the things you looked at can be quite helpful to someone starting to look for his own answers to his individual situation.... Your recommendations for a sleep journal are excellent. This is essential for anyone to get a handle on what's going on. I think in the book you should stress this even more, and present it as REQUIRED. A lot of what we deal with can only be spotted by looking at longer term trends and there is nobody that can remember all the details. A journal chronicling daily events, diet, schedules, etc. is absolutely necessary.... Overall Great Work! I wish you the best of luck in pursuing this project...and I look forward to buying a first edition!...." --Insomniac-Pennsylvania

"...I have read your book several times and want to keep reading it to get it firmly implanted in my 63 year old head. I can tell you the book is GREAT...I have not taken myself off the 50 mgs of Trazadone yet, but hope to get up the nerve to do so soon. You have a great sense of humor and I can relate to much of what you say." --Insomniac-Washington

"I have just finished reading your manuscript, and I must say I am impressed, overwhelmed, inspired, envious, and outright awed by your product. As is inescapable for an author, you have bared your heart and soul to your reader, an incredibly unselfish (and frightening) act... What you have done is offered all of us a blueprint for a plan to overcome any behavioral problem we may have...I know the Lord sent me your manuscript for a reason. Isn't it amazing how He uses each one of us?!" --Anonymous

"I have done extensive work on developing a plan. Out of five nights, I have had two nights where I slept but awoke every hour on the hour, but still felt more rested than I had for a long time. Another night I slept through from 1:30 until 7, which was my wake up time. Last night I abandoned most of my program and as you can imagine, I needed a sleeping pill to get to sleep. So it was a short lesson in discipline, and I am back on track." --Insomniac- British Columbia

"Just finished the book. It was great...This was well written, funny, compassionate, and uncluttered... Your advice, although I've encountered it before, is certainly based on good research. I've tried much of it at one time or another, with varying results, but I lacked the discipline to do it right, as you have done... But you have inspired me to give it another try! And I am very excited. (So excited, I won't fall asleep tonight.)" --Insomniac- California

"This is a prototype for the modern self help book...I can't wait to prescribe it for my patients-young and old." Steven N. Rice, M.D., A.B.P.N. (Board Certified in Psychiatry) Psychiatry Geriatric, Adult & Adolescent (Clinical Assistant Professor, Dept of Psychiatry, UT Memphis)

Library Journal

First-time authors Jacobs and Wiedman bring two complementary and responsible viewpoints to the topic of insomnia. Both have suffered from insomnia, write extensively about the ineffectiveness and sometime harmful consequences of sleeping pills, and suggest starting treatment by keeping a sleep diary. Jacobs, a professor at Harvard Medical School and founder of the Behavioral Medicine Insomnia Program, promotes a drug-free program of healthy sleep patterns based on biofeedback, relaxation, positive thinking, and good sleep habits. Wiedman, a mortgage broker by trade, suggests a very simple three-step plan. While the two books offer similar information, Jacobs's scholarly manner will satisfy those looking for an authoritative answer, while Wiedman's more informal approach will appeal to readers seeking something more personal; Wiedman also includes an excellent annotated list of Internet resources. Both titles are highly recommended for growing consumer health collections, but librarians should be aware that other recent works on this topic by Theresa DiGeronimo, Jodi Mindell, and Gary Zammit (LJ 6/1/97) may already be on the shelves.--Kelly Hensley, East Tennessee State Univ. Lib., Johnson City



Look this: Hide and Seek or Subtractive Schooling

Healers Way: Bringing Hands-on Compassion to a Love-Starved World

Author: Earnest Larsen

First new book in 5 years from one of major proponents of the 12-step recovery counseling world. A 7-step process of healing based on the revelation that we are all wounded healers, the process of living is wounding in one way or another, & recognition of such aids us in completing the cycle, healing ourselves & others.

Publishers Weekly

Is there a secret to healing others and ourselves? Larsen, originator of the process known as Stage II recovery from addictive behaviors, replies that although there is no shortcut to recovery, at the root of all human well-being is the question of "love or love denied." Love denied leaves a wound that continues to cause pain in different forms throughout a person's life. Writing with his sister Hegarty, Larsen breaks down the healing process, or "hoop" of recovery, into seven steps. We must make sure our basic physical needs are met; then we get lost, get hurt and get stuck. Only then can we get called, get up and finally get going. By telling the stories of people in different stages of recovery, Larsen seeks to demonstrate that "the hoop" is universal. The book's loose organization, colloquial style, frequent changes of metaphor (on one page we go from bent trees to a bend in the road then the "shark bite... taken out of our soul") and digressions make it hard to follow. Nevertheless, Larsen has a solid understanding of human emotions gained through years of counseling experience, and his conception of recovery is a valuable tool for both healers and those in need of healing. (Sept.)

Copyright 2007 Reed Business Information



No comments:

Post a Comment